Blogger

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday 30 July 2014

FRIENDS FOR LIFE? 5 WAYS TO KEEP IN TOUCH

They say that after seven years, the chances of a friendship lasting a lifetime improve dramatically.  This is excellent news.  As someone who returned home after university, its not the childhood relationships I worry about, but more the incredible connections I made during my three blissful years away.  Having graduated in 2009, by my calculations I have four particularly wonderful long distance friendships entering their eighth year and the ease of which these have been nurtured makes me extremely optimistic about their longevity.


One of these lovely ladies embarked on a six month world exploration with me, across four continents and after spending almost every second together and not arguing once (which we understand is pretty miraculous) the volume of private jokes in our repertoire basically amounts to our own language.  We saw some incredible places, but the adventure taught me that you can visit as many cities, glaciers and temples as you like, but it is the small, silly moments on the way which stick in your mind.  Her favourite memory of me is when I crashed head first through an open train door in Bangkok, right at the feet of a startled conductor, thrusting my ticket at him and saying, ‘We had better not be travelling in that carriage with the goats!’  Similarly, when I think about University, graduation ceremonies and lectures are blurry when compared to their everyday counterparts, like the time four of us spent Valentine’s day bitching about our boyfriends and watching chick flicks, or stumbling down cobbled streets coated with ice in four-inch stilettos.  


Remembering birthdays and anniversaries are all well and good, but it seems to be the supposedly insignificant moments which are the most significant.  With that in mind, I have compiled 5 ways to make sure you keep in touch:


1)  Social media is the obvious one.  Snapchat is ideal for sending your long distance bestie a cup of tea, even if they have to get up and actually make one.  At least you know you’re both thinking about each other while you drink it.
2)  ‘The Prosecco Fund.’  I figure if I was in the same city as my friend when she received good news, the first thing I would do would be pop over with a bottle of fizz to celebrate, so I started The Prosecco Fund.  By transferring a fiver (or tenner if your friend has particularly refined tastes) into their bank account, they can buy themselves a bottle guilt free next time they’re in Tesco.
3)  Set a decent amount of catch up time aside.  Phone calls should not only be centred around a ‘main events’ conversation, but should allow time to slip into casual silliness where you say everything you need to without actually talking about much.
4)  Catalogue reminders.  If you see an image or hear a song which reminds you of someone, record it and send it to them.  It takes two minutes to cause a smile hundreds of miles away.
5)  And finally, effort.  Making the effort, no matter how big or small, will always be worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment