Blogger

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday 19 August 2014

MY NAILS: A BARRY M LOVE STORY

Why do I paint my nails?  No seriously.  It takes hours and is there anything more frustrating than taking that final swipe of the third coat on the tenth nail, only to look back at your right hand and see its patent perfection has become a big fat gloopy mess?  Oh, and you have ruined your favourite jeans in the process, because as far as I know, incongruous electric blue splodges on clothing have not yet hit the catwalk.


And yet, any given week my nails showcase a veritable rainbow of hues and textures, and I am certainly not alone in my obsession.  Historically, noblewomen in 17th century portraits can be seen exhibiting various nail adornments while the Chinese have been doing it for thousands of years!  So what makes nail painting worth the time and expense?


1)  Me time.  It might drive my boyfriend crazy when it comes to washing the dishes and I wiggle my fingers and say, “Sorry I can’t, wet nails,” but manicure time is also a great way of forcing yourself to be still.  In a world where we are forever rushing around, break out the Barry M and that is the next half an hour accounted for with nothing but sofa time.  As mentioned before, a nail smudge can evoke an illogically fierce dart of seething anger to course through the body and must be avoided at all costs, so I make sure I have no distractions during that all important drying window.


2)  Fashion.  The last few years have seen a resurgence in dedication to nail-upkeep and yet this trend seems to be with us for the long haul.  Some of my earliest memories are playing with my Grandma’s jewellery while she touched-up her nails with a Revlon pastel pink.  There is no doubt that the perfect shade can transform an outfit from dull to dazzling which means I can see my love affair with varnish lasting for many decades to come.


3)  Self-confidence.  Even when my skin is blemish free and my hair is behaving itself, I still enjoy my make-up and blow-drying rituals before a day’s work.  The same goes for nail varnish, which after all is just make-up for the hands.  An injection of glamour does wonders for my mood and the day seems that little bit brighter when my digits are appropriately groomed.  As I work in retail, it is also a huge ego boost when a customer or colleague asks who does my shellac for me and I say “Oh no, this was just £3.99 from Boots!”  Although I do enjoy an occasional French manicure from a pro, self-application allows for more variation day-to-day, depending on mood and/or occasion.   


As you may have gathered, Barry M is my go to supplier for all things nails.  The incredible colour range and quality give a professional finish (after enough layers) and I love my little family of gelly, matte and silk shades.  And so, without further ado, I introduce my adored Barry M collection...




2 comments:

  1. I love painting my nails! The one thing I don't like is trying to decide which colour to use haha! Have you tried the Barry M matte colours.. they're sooo nice x

    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have, but I use so much top coat that they still end up all shiny shiny so I might be defeating the object a little bit... I am loving the Silk range at the moment though. I get so many compliments for the Meadow shade. xxx

      Delete